Friday, December 23, 2005

We ran a call in the middle of the night that took 3 hours to complete. And it was a stupid call. The guy's wife (and POA) couldn't decide if she wanted to force her husband to go to the ER in the middle of the night for something that I TOLD HER WOULD BE MORE APPROPRIATE AT A DOCTOR'S OFFICE. I got him to agree to allow her to take him to the DOCTOR'S OFFICE later in the week, and she took that to mean that we thought he should go to the ER. So I took this poor guy, with nothing really wrong (he might have been developing pneumonia but had no change in vital signs or complaints of difficulty breathing) and who did not want to go, to the ER at 2am, so he could sit there for hours around sick people and not get any sleep. How does that help him get better? All he needed was a doctor's visit and an antibiotic prescription. (I know it's not exactly that easy, but basically.) End of this particular rant... Anyways, I got no sleep last night and I was exhausted when my relief showed up at the station this morning.
I got home from work this morning at about 8am. I decided that I would sleep for a couple of hours to make up for the lost sleep that night. Instead, I slept until 1230pm. I lost half my day. And tonight I will be tired and go to bed at a fairly reasonable hour, then sleep in tomorrow. This seems to be a regular trend for my days off. I see two problems with this. 1)Why am I so frickin tired all the time? 2) And why am I so frickin tired all the time?

Tonight is Scott's 23rd birthday party. His birthday is tomorrow. I can't believe he's grown up this much. He has come so far since I met him when he was 7 and I was 10. He works part-time at Target, and makes enough money to pay his own bills, and, with help from my mom, manages to control his finances and has even put almost $2000 in his savings. (That's better than me.) He is also taking college classes at Brookhaven, and he has almost completed all of the transfer requirements with the appropriate GPA to transfer to A&M. The kid wants to follow in my footsteps. How proud am I? His social skills have vastly improved, and many people who meet him for the first time notice something strange about him, but they sure do have a hard time figuring out what it is. He has come so much further than I ever could have imagined that he could have come when I first met the malnourished, self-starved, autistic, non-talking "lost case" that he was at 7 years old. It will be a joy to see his future accomplishments. Scottie, I'm so proud of you.

No comments: