Wednesday, February 07, 2007

No, I am not crazy

I originally had an appointment with the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center on the 15th, but there was a scheduling problem with the doctor. So the receptionist called me and asked to reschedule, and she offered to move my appointment time up. It was moved up to yesterday, and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and acute fatigue. It has not progressed to chronic fatigue because I didn't wait to get diagnosed and treated. The AMA has identified 18 tender points that are used to help diagnose fibromyalgia (you should have something like 11/18 for diagnosis) and I have 18/18. There were other factors that I didn't know were related that were used to diagnose it, like my chronic IBS and my sleep problems amongst other things. The good doctor also has diagnosed me with hypothyroid, according to physical defects. I had about 28 tubes of blood drawn, I was given doses of supplements to take, and I was told to take melatonin and a half dose of trazodone to keep me from waking up through the night. At my next appointment, we will review my lab tests and see what my numbers mean, then treat those.

It's nice to finally have an official name for why I feel so crappy and hurt all the time. I don't feel like a hypochondriac. And I have someone to confirm that I have hypothyroid, like I've suspected my whole life, instead of doctors repeatedly telling me that there is nothing wrong, and I am just not trying hard enough to lose weight. As if eating only 1,200 calories a day and exercising for 1-2 hrs isn't trying hard enough. Whatever. I look forward to seeing how these treatments work and getting back to feeling like normal. And I really look forward to having energy and getting back to the gym. Yay!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Did you ever see the episode of "Golden Girls" in which Dorothy feels real tired and weird and her doctor tells her she is "getting old" but really she has chronic fatigue? It was one of those lame "a very special" episodes that highlights issues that golden people might face. I hate those because they are not as funny as say, the ones where the girls have to plan a charity gala. Anywho, glad to know that you, much like Dorothy, at least know what's going on with your health. Hope you're feeling okay and good luck with the moving! Lub you!