Tuesday, July 25, 2006

So I update last with the good news of my engagement. Well, the emotional event rollercoaster continues. Last Tuesday I got fired from my job. MedStar has these wacko attendarnce and tardy policies. They put a new tardy policy into effect on June 1, without telling us what it was going to be, then they made it retroactive to the beginning of the year. It is basically a no-tolerance tardy policy, for whatever individual reasons we have. So by the time the new policy went into effect I already had 4 tardies; one for oversleeping, a couple for bad weather, and one for traffic problems enroute to work. Then the Thursday I got engaged, I was late for work because I was exhausted and completely slept through my alarm. My bad. Then last Tuesday I was late again because I got stuck on the freeway in the aftermath of a fatality auto-ped accident. They had the freeway shut down to one lane so they could do their investigation into why this lady got creamed on the freeway, and I got stuck with no exit to take. I was 15 minutes late to work. But that was my fault because I should have known that that lady was going to be killed that morning when I was trying to get to work, and I should have jumped the concrete barrier, or whatever, so that I could get on time. So I got fired for tardies. Oh, well. I didn't cry. MedStar is the one who cant make it's response times to calls and is 23 paramedics short of being staffed. Not me. I had another job by Thursday. I'm just glad
that I had two weeks of vacation banked. And I'm glad that I had almost a full paycheck coming to me anyways. So my last check was big. And I get two and a half weeks of vacation before I start my new job at CareFlite. And I'm excited about my new job. It sounds like they really care about their employees, and I should hopefully be making more money than I was at MedStar. So it's all good. I'm still happy. And all of this came at the perfect time to hang out with all of Jeremys family that are coming into town for his brothers wedding this weekend. So it worked out better than I even thought it could have. Yay for me.

No comments: